Sunday, July 6, 2014

November 4th: V-O-T-E D-E-M-O-C-R-A-T!



Having said that, I am very concerned about lack of knowledge by Americans of America so I am encouraging all voters to do some very simple reading on how their system works and to test their candidates running for office on how our system works and if they don’t know the answers push them to learn, as well, and to follow up in writing with answers to your questions.

Systems are only as good as the people who run them and if voters don’t make sure they are electing candidates into positions of power who understand how that system works ~ well ~ you do get what you vote for.

Here’s a great page on how our government works, provided by the President Obama Administration on the White House website!  I always recommend going to the source first!!!  



^^^ Just what power does a U.S. President have? Do you know?


Personally, on a very simple level I can often rule out a candidate with one question:

 I ask how he or she will see a promise (s) accomplished? If a candidate does not know that there is a process and how that process works and if he or she cannot clearly articulate a strategy that will provide the best odds of success at the end of that process then I would have two choices two make:

One: Look for a better choice? And if there is I would not support anyone ignorant of our own system.

Two: If there is not a better choice, which is very sad but it happens, then I would work with what I have had and I would do what I could to get him or her up to speed. 

Beyond that, I would want to know if they shared my basic, Democratic thinking that says the United States is based on The Common Good ~ codified in the United States Constitution here:

Article 1 Section 8 (Article 1 excerpt)

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

And I would inquire as to if he or share interprets Article 1 Section 8 as I do ~ as a constitutional mandate to provide for the health and the welfare of our nation (which, or course, is us!), or not.

Further questions might look like this:

Do you support the United States Constitution as it is or would you make changes to it? If yes, what changes?

In light of the anti-U.S. GOP Party, this is a very important question. Here’s a sampling of constitutional changes being discussed in the GOP Party now:


Do you support the strategic nullification of a duly elected American President? If so, how do you justify the nullification of majority rule via elections? If not, what would you do about it?

In light of the anti-U.S GOP Party, I would be looking for knowledge based reality here and a candidate who would not be complicit by his or her silence. 


Do you support the Separation of Church and State, including but not limited to, the teaching of science and not faith in public schools?

In light of the anti-U.S. GOP Party, I would be looking for a candidate who will recognize GOP movement toward an American Theology and not mistake the desire for power and control for religion and who, again, would not be complicit by his or her silence 


Do you support the designing of and implementation of a code of ethics for the Supreme Court?

In light of the anti-U.S. Government majority sitting on the Supreme Court, as we speak, I am looking for a candidate would understand that human nature at all levels needs to be checked.    


Having done that, I would have some questions around more local concerns in the District and in the State ready to pursue.

At the end of the day I would feel as if I’d done my job as a voter a participant in my own Democracy.

It is my fondest wish that all Democrats would, at the end of the day, feel the same way!

*** A shout out to http://voicesfromtheheartland.blogspot.com/2014/03/why-do-some-republican-senators-act.html for that " TIME TO VOTE DEMOCRAT meme!


No comments:

Post a Comment